Monday, August 26, 2013

Researching Paranormal Creatures

My favorite part in writing paranormal has always been doing the occasional research, since the subject is something I really get into. It's also a great excuse to re-watch some of my favorite television shows and movies to get the idea generator cooking, even though I always try to break away from "traditional" beliefs on anything paranormal.

In my newest book, Paranormal Keepers, my main character has been obsessed with paranormal creatures her whole life, and swears they're real, even though she doesn't have any proof. In preparation, I've been studying legendary creatures and witchcraft on the internet as well as buying "non-fiction" books. I was surprised to discover that I hadn't heard of some of these monsters before. To give you an idea, here's a list from wikipedia:

Adlay
Basilisk, Banshee, Boggart, Balaur, Biscione
Chimera, Centaur, Cyclops, Cockatrice, Cambion, Chokoy
Demon, Dhampir, Doppelgänger, Dragon, Drider, Dryad, Dwarf, Dybbuk, Demigod
Elf, Elve, Ent, Espon
Fairy, Faun, Feilong
Giant, Ghost, Ghoul, Genie, Goblin, God, Gorgon, Gryphon, Gremlin, Gnome, Grindylow, Golem
Harpy, Hydra, Hippogriff, Hobbit, Hinkypunk
Imp, Incubus
Jinn
Kraken, Kappa, Kitsune, Kumiho, Kobaloi
Leprechaun, Lycan, Lindworm
Mermaid, Merman, Manticore, Minotaur, Morrovol, Mummy, Moroi
Nymph, Nephilim
Orc, Ogre, Opinicus, Onocentaur
Phoenix, Pixie, Pukwudgie, Pixiu
Sylph, Siren, Shape-shifter, Succubus, Satyr, Salamander, Seraph, Shade, Strigoi, Shinigami
Troll, Taraxipi, Telekhine, Tikbalang, Tengu
Unicorn, Upir, Undine
Vampire, Vetala, Volkodlak, Vircolac
Werewolf, Werecat, Werepanther, Wendigo, Wraith, Wyvern, Wemic, witch, wiccan
Yeti, Yūrei, Yali
Zilant, Zombie
Although the Mothman didn't make this list, he makes an appearance in my new story. And Mothman Prophecies is one of my favorite movies, so I'm excited that I have a reason to watch it again.

Most of my creatures will have a different spin on the legends, mostly because I like to be different, and since we don't have solid proof of these things we don't really know what they actually look like or what they can do. But I swear to you, none of my creatures will be all cuddly, and none of them will sparkle.

What are some of your favorite paranormal movies involving some of these creatures?

No comments:

Post a Comment