Monday, December 31, 2012

My Wish for 2013

For me, 2012 was a stellar year both professionally and personally. I escaped the confines of the 8-5 working grind and made my lifelong dream a reality by publishing three books. My family members remained relatively healthy, I welcomed another step son-in-law into our growing family and discovered my oldest step-daughter and her husband will be expecting their third child. I got to explore the Virgin Islands with some of my favorite people, visited my best friend for a week in Texas and my sister-in-law in Florida. I even got to see Coldplay in concert and attend my first zombie walk.

The bar for my 2013 has been set pretty high. A lot of people wish for a slimmer body, more money or even fame. While any and all of those would be really nice, all I wish for in the new year is happiness. Sometimes it's the smaller things that bring me joy, such as concerts (so far I'm set to see Rihanna and Taylor Swift) new movies (The Mortal Instruments and World War Z look amazing) or even a successful sequel to my books (Shymers and The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life are up next). Other times it's in the news that one of my family members remains cancer-free or holding that future step-grandbaby for the first time. And I'm not going to lie - I'll be totally elated when when sitting on the beach in Cabo with a drink in hand.

But there are people who had a terrible year, and for some of them, 2013 won't look much brighter. Some are busting their butts to keep food on the table or fighting against their diseased body to stay alive. Those families mourning children murdered in the senseless school shooting are going to have probably the longest years of their lives. Two families in my community were recently given the devastating news that their sons have a form of cancer. Happiness will not come so readily for these people. It's up to the rest of us to do what we can to try to do something to make them smile. I strive to leave an impressionable mark on this lifetime, as should we all. Remember when your life is at its highest, there are others who may be at their lowest.

Tonight as you raise your glass to toast your friends and loved ones, remember that tomorrow is a new year and with that new year comes new beginnings and fresh opportunities at happiness. Whatever form happiness may come in, I will welcome it with open arms. And I wish it on each and every last one of you, whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment