Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Fighting the Summer Blues

"What's this?" you ask. "But Jen, it's June! You should be enjoying the sunshine and time at the lake!"

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I'm also sitting in a dark, rather depressing room at 2:30 on a Tuesday afternoon watching the rain pour down my windows. I don't ever remember it being so cold this late into the year (today's high is a whopping 60, although when I ran this morning it felt more like 40 with the wind chill).

This year we've only gone on one motorcycle (two days ago), and it chilled me to the bone so badly that I shivered under a pile of blankets for hours afterward. My husband has not been able to finish planting his corn, and he hasn't even started on beans (it's normal to be completely finished by the end of May). We don't have our boats out of storage, and most of our neighbors don't even have their docks out. I have yet to sit around a campfire and roast marshmallows with my kids. It's a travesty.

Welcome to Minnesota.
I'm looking for something to inspire me, something to lift my spirits. Normally I can count on riding the jet ski or the Harley to get inspiration, but both those options are out. The pile of books I have to read for my summer challenge are not beckoning to me, and the characters in my work in progress have lost their usual witty banter.

I don't think I've ever had to deal with a summertime depression before. Watching the feed from locals on my Facebook page, I don't think I'm the only one. If you have a suggestion on a favorite movie, book, YouTube video, or any other indoor activity that either inspires you or brings a smile to your face, feel free to share. Please.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go prod the characters in my zombie sequel, and see if I can get them to maybe give me a smile, or crack at least one joke.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been cold here in Ohio too, which has been nice but also unusual for us. Still, even if it was warm, I always find myself more depressed in the summertime. I dunno why. But I feel your pain!! Hope you can find something to ease the depression a little!

Anonymous said...

Put on Rock of Ages or Pitch Perfect, Jen and dance and sing along.

Post a Comment